27 November 2014

Lekker: Salted Butter Apple Galette

It's here, it's here, it's finally here!!! Happy Thanksgiving guys!

I can't wait to share with you some of the things I'm making for today, after they are taste tested by my highly qualified tasting panel (hah). On the menu is a Lemon Sage Butter Roasted Turkey with white wine gravy; my classic Perfect Mashed Potatoes; Sourdough, Italian Sausage and Roasted Chestnut Stuffing; and a luxury Green Bean & Mushroom Casserole. I'm not a fan of dessert pies, generally, and so for dessert I opted for a Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Cake.

If you find it utterly sacrilegious not to serve apple pie for Thanksgiving dessert though, may I propose this utterly delicious and simple Salted Butter Apple Galette as an updated alternative? Isn't it beautiful?! And so deceptively simple, too. The ingredient list is short, and you just might already have everything you need around the house just in *case* one of your preplanned desserts doesn't entirely work out. ;)

This recipe is straight from the hallowed halls of Bon Appetit Magazine, with whom I enjoy the most majestic of love affairs, so I'm just going to link to it right here. The only changes I made were to use a teaspoon of vanilla extract instead of bothering with vanilla beans. Don't be intimidated by the apple slices! If you have a mandolin of course you can use one, but I just sliced neatly with a steady hand. The tart dough is easy to whip up too, just make sure you have some time for it to chill in the fridge. Onward!
    

Ah, look! Proof, that I do, actually, do all this cooking! And yes, I am using an empty wine bottle as a rolling pin, because why not?


It should look like this right before you pop it into the oven. Num num num,

And...fin!

2 comments:

  1. What!? You didn't wash the labels off that wine bottle rolling pin before using it? Please, please don't tell me there's still a bit of fresh wine sloshing around in it -- from that last glass you just poured. = )

    ReplyDelete