18 September 2013

Liquor: Intense Dark & Stormy

This isn't a real post and it's certainly not my recipe, but it is a damn good drink I have to share. Well, see the thing is it's not really SHARING unless you live in New York and have access to the surprisingly wonderful perfection that is Barrow's Intense Ginger Liqueur. So basically it's just bragging. Even if you're my friend, I love this stuff so much that it's unlikely I'll share it with you. You'd have to be a reeeeeeeally really good friend. Like maybe if you gave me a kidney or something.

Maybe.

But I don't need a kidney right now (maybe a liver in a couple of years) so I guess you're just SOL!

Don't worry, though--I've already e-mailed the owner, Josh Morton, and begged and pleaded to find a way to get it somewhere in DC. This is a snobby city! There are plenty of snootin' fallutin' shops and bars/cocktail lounges that would stock this stuff. DAMMIT, JOSH, GET IT TOGETHER!

My Bonus Dad Harry gave me this half-bottle when I was up in New York recently, as he had picked it up on a weekend trip to Red Hook. I normally don't really care for ginger things (too spicy) and felt skeptical, but was immediately taken in by the freshness and vibrancy of the flavour. It's so hard to describe: it's smooth and slightly sweet without being cloying, tasting clear and vibrant and ginger-y without the punch in the face. I want to put it in everything (going to try the Intense Martini soon), but last night--in a dark and stormy mood myself--settled on the suggestion offered on the tag around the neck of the bottle: an Intense Dark and Stormy. Here's the recipe.


It hit the spot like you wouldn't believe, and I'm not even a dark rum fan after what happened a couple of years ago with my friend Monkey Boy--but that's another story.

I'll keep you posted on my efforts to get this wonderfulness down to DC, and in the meantime, I'll be stocking up on my next trip up to New York.

4 comments:

  1. Hi this is Josh from Barrow's Intense - right now the only way to get Barrow's outside of NY is to order it online.

    http://www.drinkupny.com/Barrows_Intense_Ginger_Liqueur_p/s1357.htm

    DC is not in our immediate expansion plans. We are a craft product made by hand in small batches using only fresh ginger. This is how we get the pure clean flavor. I am not willing to trade taste for growth so for now you'll just have to order it online or better yet come to NYC for a visit.

    We hope to one day get to DC and beyond but for now those are your only 2 options. Cheers, Josh, Founder, Barrow's Intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Josh! Thanks for the comment!

      I so appreciate your dedication to creating a fine quality product over a potentially too-fast expansion. I've seen other products crash and burn that way and I'm beyond thrilled to hear that you've got your priorities straight. You can taste your talent in every invigorating sip!

      I can totally deal with ordering online--but I'll certainly be stopping by the next time I'm in the Empire State.

      Keep being awesome!
      G

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to give you an update. Thanks to you and other fans of Barrow's Intense we are now distributed in 35 states! You can find the closed store or bar/restaurant carrying our stuff at:

    http://barrowsintense.com/enjoybuy/

    And if your local store doesn't have it please ask - we are generally distributed by the #1 or #2 distributor in each state.

    ReplyDelete