28 August 2013

Lagniappe, or, A Little Somethin' Somethin'

I used to date a guy (we'll call him Lupin) from New Orleans who taught me all sorts of awesome Cajun slang while we were together, to my increasing amusement. They sure do have a fascinating way of talkin' down there! My favourite word is "lagniappe" which sounds ugly the way it's spelled (lag-nee-ap-pay?), but is actually pronounced "LAN-yap". It means "a little extra" and is used when purchasing something from a vendor. For example, when a baker throws in an extra donut for free (to make a baker's dozen of 13), that is lagniappe; or if I were to go to a street market and purchase some veggies and said to the vendor "How about some lagniappe?" he might throw in a bunch of cilantro or something for me. Apparently it's still widely practiced in Louisiana and I LOVE this concept and custom.

I'll be using this word in my blog post titles for things that don't fit strictly into the "Lekker" (food and dessert recipes) or "Liquor" (drinks, obvi) categories--just a little somethin' somethin' extra.

So, here's today's lagniappe, which had me laughing my ass off on Pinterest yesterday.


MIND. BLOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment