15 August 2013

Liquor: Gin Rickey

This isn't a real recipe. I'm only posting it because it was so beautiful outside yesterday that I decided to take my book ("Z": A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler) outside to the patio to read, and because it was a day ending in "y" I had plans to have a drink. In keeping with the theme of the Roaring 20's of the novel, it didn't take me long to decide on an absolute classic: a Gin Rickey.

Gin Rickey

What You Need
1.5 ounces gin (or 2 ounces if you're feeling wild; I like Bombay Sapphire)
juice of 1 freshly squeezed lime
club soda

What You Do
The proper way to serve this drink is in a tall Collins glass, which is a clear glass with tall straight sides and a thick bottom, but this is also supposed to be an easy, relaxed drink so you can make it in a Pyrex cup for all I care. Put in some ice, squeeze the lime really well over it and add the gin. Top off with fresh club soda and stir gently. I like to throw in a quarter of the squeezed lime because I like a little bit of the bitterness from the oils of the lime skin in the drink, but it's not necessary. You can garnish with a regular lime wedge or a couple of pretty lime slices if you're feelin' fancy. Go outside, sip, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment